As you hit the grocery store this weekend to stock up on food to get through another week of social-distancing and self-quarantine, I figured it would be helpful to put together a list of things I keep on hand to help me create easy plant-based meals. These are items I recommend picking up this weekend, but honestly, I keep them in my pantry and fridge year-round! DO NOT feel like you have to get everything on this list, it’s simply a cumulative list of items I pick up frequently. Use this as a guide to help you pick up things you and your family will like!
You may be thinking – how am I supposed to make meals using all of these random ingredients without a recipe? Here’s my full-proof method for making plant-based meals that allows you to use whatever you have from the grocery list below:
- Step 1 – Choose your base: This can be any of the grains from the list or you can skip this step if you are going for a salad. Note: I usually just use my oats for oatmeal, not for lunch or dinner, but you do you.
- Step 2 – Choose your leafy greens: choose from mixed lettuce, kale, or spinach. You can eat these greens raw or you can sauté the kale or spinach for a warm meal (don’t forget you can use frozen spinach too).
- Step 3 – Add vegetables: go wild here with whatever you have on hand! Remember you can use these veggies raw or play with cooking styles by sautéing, grilling, steaming, roasting, stir frying, or air frying. Add some spices and garlic to mix up the flavor.
- Step 4 – Choose a plant-based protein: choose either lentils, beans, or tofu. Make sure you have a healthy serving. If you don’t give yourself enough, you’ll get hungry quickly!
- Step 5 – Top it all off: Add nuts, nut butter, avocado, or make a sauce (I love the tahini sauce in THIS recipe, my light peanut sauce HERE, or make a simple dressing with a little vinegar and olive oil). Don’t forget Rao’s is an awesome marinara to have on hand! Garnishing with fresh herbs is also a great way to add flavor and color!
Alright, now that we’ve gone over the full-proof method to make a meal, let’s chat about what you can grab this weekend! Save the images below to your phone to give yourself an easy grocery list. Keep scrolling to notes about particular items!
Notes about some of the items above:
- Bean based pasta (I like edamame spaghetti or Banza pasta)
- popcorn kernels (sometimes it’s nice to have a little fun, healthy snack in there)
- Vegetable Broth (no sodium or sugar added)
- almond butter and peanut butter (no sugar, salt, or oils added)
- organic unsweetened almond milk (I stock up on this)
- frozen veggie burgers and frozen veggie meatballs (I don’t like getting the imitation meat often, but it is really nice to have these on hand every now and then when you are in a pinch… or self quarantine)
Keep in mind girlfriends, this is a cumulative list, meaning you by no means need everything on this list! These are some ideas to get you headed in the right direction. Take into consideration what types of foods you like to eat, how many days you’re buying for, and how much cooking you plan to do at home!
I hope this was helpful! Stay healthy and safe!